After more than nine decades, the Bruins-Canadiens rivalry is considered one of the greatest rivalries in sports. The Boston Bruins and the Montreal Canadiens have been battling on the rink since their first meeting on December 8th, 1924.
- These two ‘Original Six’ teams have played each other more times than any other two teams in NHL history, with the heavily anticipated Winter Classic game serving as the 910th time these teams have faced each other.
- They have more regular-season, Playoffs, and game 7 match-ups than any other two teams out there.
- They have played each other in 34 playoff series (177 games), more than any other team, and an NHL record of 8 Game 7s.
- Additionally, the Bruins and Canadiens have squared off in a record 34 playoff series and own a combined 30 Stanley Cup championships.
- The Bruins enjoyed more success in the early 1990s, winning the only 4 playoff series between the teams. More recently, Montreal has found its way back on top, defeating Boston in 4 of the last 6 since.
- The 2016 NHL Winter Classic will be hosted by the Bruins on their home turf in Foxborough at Gillette Stadium, marking the first time these rivals have ever faced off outdoors. Both teams will be wearing throwback jerseys to the game.
Needless to say, the passion for the sport for these two teams is palpable, and the effect of putting both teams together on the ice is explosive.
Go on the road with the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens as they prepare to take their historic rivalry outside in EPIX Presents Road to the NHL Winter Classic, a 4-part EPIX Original Series. Wednesdays 10/9c, beginning TONIGHT.